Wednesday, February 22, 2006

~My Mumbai Winter Days~

Bombay- The land of dreams, the city that seldom sleeps, the city of the Gavaskars, Tendulkars, Manjrekars etc...that is where I was based for my Winter project with South African Breweries Ltd, a.k.a SABMiller Ltd. (Makers of Castle Lager, Haywards 2000 & 5000, Knock out and Royal Challenge)

Travelling was a dominant component of the Project to retail outlets across the suburbs..my area covered Bandra to Andheri, which included Khar Road, Santacruz, Juhu and Vile Parle. I must admit that the public transport system in the city is really commendable and definitely needs accolades.

Travelling in local trains at peak hours and reaching newer places in some time span was a challenge in itself apart from the task of meeting retailers and culling out all the information that I need from them.

The weekends though were spent in Pune, on campus giving the weekend FCQ, i.e. the quizzes, which though are surprises in terms of subjects but are predicted with Six Sigma accuracy by my batchmates out here. Rarely has the prediction gone wrong on the subjects that appear and I really pity those Professors, who are constantly bugged by us to know whether they have submitted the test papers to the exam department for the weekend.

In the midst of all this, one more Valentine's day went by, seldom making a difference to singles like me. I also caught up with Ashish (my ex-room mate and close buddy during my Torrent working days in Ahmedabad) at Andheri. I am really happy for him, since he has come out with flying colours, infact topped at from Shipping Corporation Of India, Cochin and will soon board the Ship for his first 9 months on sea.

The hectic schedule and travelling in Bombay made sure that the one fondest thing I do after reaching back at my cousins place is to eat well and then catch up with sleep. Inspite of this, I somehow managed time to get online and get to my favourite addiction PaGalGuY.com and the latest rage amongst the batch~~orkut.com.

PaGalGuY.com is a passion with me now and It really feels satisfying after I started off with a genuine urge in me to pass on the right information to MBA aspirants.

I was pleasantly surprised and taken Back when our Market Research and Marketing faculty, Mr. Prantosh Banerjee, referred to moi in class as being online on PG a lot and giving Gyaan to people.

Well, but jokes and fun apart am really glad how PG.com has come abt and how scmhrd aspirants were at ease this year. My batchmates all put in their best and the admissions process went on very well at all the GD/PI centres, the reviews on PG, said it all.

All said and done, as far as myself am concerned, am adjusting back to the campus life after travelling the length and breadth of Mumbai, having seen life at Pali hill and also at Dharavi Chawls.

The kind of experience that the project generated was unparalled with respect to the kind of buying and selling taking place across different segments. To hear and read is another thing, but being there in person when all this happens is an all together different experience.

With mid term exams declared for the weekend within a notice of 3 days, I am the only one writing a Blog at this time, others if not studying are atleast catching up on something important, i.e Sleep.

Cheers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home