Sunday, June 25, 2006

Part- II My Chennai Days

Chennai- Erstwhile Madras, The sultry Summer Weather, the Drinking Water Problem, the impending elections and the roadblocks on account of the high profile campaigns, the pick pockets at public places and Buses and the greedy and demanding Auto drivers...the things I need to look for here in the city and I had got enough talk on all of these from whoever had heard that I was going to be in the city for the initial part of my Summer project.

MY office on account of being located at the Ambattur Industrial Estate, 45-55 minutes from Vadapalani, from where I was put up consumed lot of travel time. I started almost at 7 am everyday only to return back by 8 pm on an average in the evening. The project concept, roadmap and output were things I had to concentrate on and once the groundwork was done, I could move off to various locations to meet customers/prospects and generate data and information, as well gather market intelligence.

The one problem I did not face in the city was the language problem since Tamil is my mother tongue and I speak somewhat understandble language, the people around could be well handled. English is used extensively in the city on Bus boards (Which was a great relief, since I cannot read and write Tamil) and at all major locations which helps non-Tamil literates to understand the messages.

On a lighter note, I used to wonder though in the monrings, why at all need to take baths at 6.30 in the morning, when I am almost drenched(with perspiration!!) when I reach office at 8 am. The purpose to reach at 8 for 8.30 office was primarily to catch up on the awesome breakfast available at the office cafetaria. The kerala and Tam style preparations made me remind of my young summer vacation days at Kerala and I really loved them.

I hardly got any time to explore Chennai with office consuming lot of time, but got one sunday to see the great Marina Beach, and few other top locations like the Spencer's PLaza at Anna Salai.
Evenings in chennai were spent on catching up with North Indian food and with Saurabh being there, it was almost necessary!!.

The first half of My Chennai days ended abruptly when my guide sent me on a one month tour from 19th April only to return on 17th May to Chennai.

Then started my Great Indian Tour, Stop One==being Coimbatore and Tirupur- the Knit City of India, with a chance to explore Business for the company. The company, my guide especially treated me damn well, which motivated me to try and go that extra mile with my assignment and in the end it really made a difference.

Chennai though at times left a bad taste in my mouth, with the local people especially.... highly reluctant to learn Hindi and appreciate people from the North. It is surprsing that Chennai is a part of Hindustan or India. I sincerely believe that Chennai has a lot to pick up in terms of Changing its attitude towards Hindi and North Indians in general. The Politicians in the state have not helped the cause either.

The politicians need to rise above petty politicking and work for National Integration and should make efforts towards unifying rather than division. Tamil Nadu also had a ridiculously high 69% reservation for the backward class and one of the few states which ws having pro-reservation rallies when AIIMS in Delhi was burning with agitation.
Due to unavoidable circumstances the post got deleted, hence am posting the comments made to this post below:-
-Raghav-hehe nice..will check out the go pagal thing when i got time!!
Anonymous:- I resent your comments about chennai.. regarding Hindhi and N.Indians.On what basis have you come to this conclusion, after barely stayingfor a month or so in chennai? I am surprised! Pray why should we learnHindhi, just because it's our national language? How many fromthe Hindhi belt have even tried to know and learn any south Indianlanguage and here I am talking about common people like you found inchennai. If people feel they can survive day to day with their locallang and mother tongue tamil and a smattering of english ( thanks dueto colonial hangover ) they certainly don't feel the need to learn Hindhi, just to please the likes of you. Yes the Dravidian partieswere against Hindhi and maybe they took the hatered a bit too far,which is not the case anymore. Sadly these days children in most cityschools opt for Hindhi or Sanskrit as their second language andhave forgotten their mother tongue even to the extent of not beingable to speak fluently, and you are a prime example which is a shame!When you look down upon your mother tongue it's like disowningyour own mother. Tamil nadu has always welcomed people from other partsof India and they have lived and prospered in our city withour any fear.When tamils and other south Indians go to north for a living theymake an effort to learn Hindhi purely for survival, though the northIndians who come here never try to learn the local lang and wantthe locals to understand their Hindhi! And there you go saying thatwe have an attitude towards Hindhi and N.Indians. Yes there is a pro reservation in T.nadu but we forwards havelearnt to live with that, but that doesn't mean anti-reservation isright. Hope fully everyone can have their pie and eat it too.
Shankar:-
Dear Anonymous!!
Thanks for sparing time and writing a feedback on my blog. I do not wish to respond to your comments. I have said all that I wanted to. I would be thankful if u can mention ur name too on ur comment. btw its Hindi and not HINDHI as u spelt it.Cheers!!

10 Comments:

At 12:59 am, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am posting this as Anonymous not because do not want to divulge who I am. But, didn't want to create an id and go through the whole nine yard.

First of all, Abishek, if you have problems in TN, get out of that place and move on man. Why sit there?

Shankar, without picking on spellings, answer that guys questions. When Marwadis come to TN to live, they do not learn Tamil. However, when a Tamilian goes to Delhi, he is learning Hindi. When it is required Tamilians are willing to adopt to the situation. However, Hindi speaking people come here and expect the locals to speak their language???? Who has the attitude issue?

I, myself is not against Hindi. For that matter, not against any language. Knowing another language is a good thing. I can fluently speak, read and write in Hindi. This is because my parents were living in Delhi and had to live with them. The important thing is, I still speak, read and write Tamil. Haven't forgotten my first language. That's the key.

When you guys come to TN, learn to adopt to the local conditions. You come with an attitude and expect locals to adopt to you guys??????

Take a moment and think you wise guys.

 
At 8:29 pm, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U can write a comment with ur name too!!

 
At 1:37 pm, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One big point that people in the "learning language" debate are missing is:

When a Tamilian visits Rajasthan, Punjab, Maharashtra, Gujrat they are never expected to Marwari, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujrati. They learn HINDI. So, saying "I have to learn your language when you do not learn mine" does not work!

I had an interesting experience in Madras (which was not yet named Chennai in 1994 when I visited). I visited a few road side restaurants, which looked down upon my turbaned north Indian looks and refused to speak Hindi (or English!) I went to one and ordered a lot of stuff. I mean a lot of stuff. By the end of that visit, the owner and staff was speaking in Hindi with me (broken hindi, but hindi nonetheless). I guess that like in most other places the real mother tongue of people in Chennai is Money!

Also, there is a a clear and general disdain for North Indians in TN. When I was volunteering with cleaning / health / relief operations in Pushpvanam in Vedaranyam after the Tsunami, I was shocked to see that the ratio of Sikhs in the TN population was something like 1:35000 (from census data). The national average is something like 1:50. In fact, there are very few countries in the world (except a few nations in Africa) where the ratio of Sikhs is so low in the population!

 
At 7:56 pm, July 03, 2006, Blogger Malay Maniar said...

Dear all,
It is not that we expect you to forget your mother tongue. But language is not a shirt that you can remove and wear another! You must understand that when we go south, we wish to learn your language too, but till then, there has top be some link in the form of a common language. And that can only be our national language.
When you come to gujarat, we would also resort to Hindi to help you with the transition. Being a fanatic about mother tongue will not help you.
So chill out, and relax man. Bridge the communication gap, rather than aggravating it with your misplaced pride about your mother tongue.
Cheers!!!

 
At 1:34 pm, July 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good one...

agree on a common ground of communication is Hindi...how else will such a diverse nation exist.

i have coupla tamilian guys in my office who simply refuse to learn hindi...which is ridiculous.

its as simple as learning ur national anthem...

This debate is just a matter of pride and the mother tongue bit is a redundant issue.

Cheers
Radhika

P.S:- This Comment was emailed to me, thought would put it up here, by the na,me-Shankar

 
At 8:38 am, August 03, 2006, Blogger Kirthi said...

Hahaha Some more Chennai detractors. Wish I had found this blog a couple of months back, when the Chennai supporters were ready to guillotine me!!
I couldn't agree more about the problems that have plagued the city since times immemorial. About people in chennai refusing to learn Hindi or for that matter those who don't know Tamil, why can't they just have a 3 language system like in Maharashtra: I can speak Marathi as well as a Maharashtrian and often get mistaken for one!

 
At 10:30 pm, August 09, 2006, Blogger Sandeep Sundaram said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:34 pm, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi shanx,
a very nice blog.
i commend ur creativity.
tell me where does this insti stand interms of bschl rankings go on.
my name is karan and i am frm delhi.
an aspirant.
tmrw is a big day 4 me.

 
At 7:32 pm, February 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with shankar and abhi. What if those tamilians go to Haryana or Punjab and find them talking in Haryanvi or Punjabi. They will feel as if expletives are being hurled at them. We North Indians feel the same way when we go to TN. May be because Tamilians consider themselves superior than the whole nation, they do not want to adopt the national language. I have never ever seen the same problem with malayalis. It is only with the Tamilians. I feel not learning Hindi is a matter of pride for them. I do feel it is high time that they made Hindi compulsory in their schools or tamilians will have a hard time when they move out of TN.

 
At 6:31 pm, May 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends,
I would like to clear a misconception here. HINDI /HINDHI whatever is NOT THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE OF INDIA.
" India has a list of 23 official languages. Neither the constitution nor the laws of India accord the status of "National Language" to any language in India. Indian law states that no language will be made the National Language unless and until all the constituent states of the Union of India accept it. Out of the 28 states and 7 union territories, only 10 states and 3 union territories have Hindi as the principal official language."

I see nothing wrong in using ENGLISH as a common language. If it is good enough to be the common language of majority of the world, then it is good enough for India too. There is nothing anti-Indian here. after all, we are still speaking Tamil, the oldest and classical language of India. Hindi is classified as a language belonging to the Indo-European family of languages and is a mix of persian, arabian ,urdu and sanskrit (which again belongs to Indo-European family of languages). Tamils have welcomed everyone in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
"Yaadhum oorey, yaavarum kelir". (Every place is our place and Everyone is our relative.)

Please dont spread hatred.

-Siva.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home